Sunday, April 13, 2008

Open Studio!

We've asked Shay Lawrence, owner of Abrakadoodle Minneapolis to write a guest blog about Open Studio, a new collaborative offering from Abrakadoodle and kiddywampus.

Whoo hoo! Last week marked the launch of Open Studio and I couldn’t be more excited!

When we first started dreaming of Open Studio, we wanted to create a space where kids could paint, collage, stamp and create at their own pace as they developed the skills they would need to succeed in elementary school. It was so thrilling to see students proudly hanging their creations on our drying wall, figuring out that if you stamp on play doh with your shoe it makes a really cool design, and blending colors using Twistables. My favorite moment though was when a little girl ran up to me with a huge grin on her face and whispered, “did you know you can paint with crayons? This is so cool!” (She had discovered our watercolor crayons). She proudly offered to share her newfound knowledge with me through a demonstration.

It was pretty cool. I wonder what I’ll learn next week.

No comments: